The Search button is your one-push avenue to fast answers, both on and off your phone. In addition to web searches, you can also press Search to find email, calls, contacts, or new apps to buy. It all depends on the app you’re using when you press it. Marketplace is the place to find free and paid apps and games for your phone. You can also buy music there (or download as much as you want if you’re a Zune Pass subscriber).
To find something on the web
1. Press the Search button.
(If you press Search within call history, email, Marketplace, or People, you’ll need to press it again to search the web. Otherwise you’ll be searching just those apps.)
2. Tap the Search box, then type a word or phrase.
3. Tap Go
You can narrow or broaden your search results by flicking to Web, Local, or News.
Did you know you can search by voice? Tap the microphone icon in the search box and say "find" or "search for" plus your search term. See Use Speech on my phone.
Certain features of Bing, such as local search, may not be available in your country or region.
To find an address or place
Windows Phone 7 can guide you to your destination with written turn-by-turn directions. It also shows the total distance and estimated travel time. To learn more, see Use Maps to find a place.
1. On Start, flick left to the App list, then tap Maps
2. Tap the Search icon on the screen (not the button on the phone).
3. Tap the search box, and then type any of the following:
An address (1 Microsoft Way, Redmond, WA)
A ZIP Code (90052)
A city (Seattle, WA)
A business name or type (coffee shop)
An intersection (1st & Main)
A point of interest (Space Needle)
4. Tap Go
Tap a pushpin to get directions to that spot and see what’s nearby. Pushpins for a business might include its street address, phone number, web address, or customer reviews.
At maximum zoom, the map will automatically change to satellite view.
To find new apps, games, or music in Marketplace
Marketplace is the place to find free and paid apps and games for your phone. You can also buy music there (or download as much as you want if you’re a Zune Pass subscriber).
1. On Start, tap Marketplace , then press the Search button.
2. Tap the Search box, and then type in the name of an app, game, song, or artist.
3. Tap Go
Zune Pass and/or Marketplace may not be available in your country or region.
To find an email
1. On Start, tap an email account (for example, Outlook, Google, or Windows Live).
2. Press the Search button.
3. Tap the Search box, and then type a name or keyword.
4. If you find the message you’re looking for, tap it.
To find someone in your contacts list
1. On Start, tap People , then press the Search button.
2. Start typing a contact’s name. When you see the entry you’re looking for, tap it.
You can also quickly browse for a contact by tapping and holding one of the big A-Z letters, and then tapping the letter where their name is filed.
To find a call in call history
1. On Start, tap Phone , then press the Search button.
2. Start typing a name or number. When you see the entry you’re looking for, tap it.