Gmail team has just launched the cool new feature in gmail across all the gmail users which allows you to add a create a custom gmail theme with your own colors, you are now no longer limited to the gmail themes listed under the theme tab under settings, but now you can create one of your own and another interesting thing is that you can add a background wallpaper of that gmail theme you created with your own personal photos or pictures on your computer.
You can select two pictures from your computer one will display as background image and other will display in the footer area. Follow the procedure below to find out how you can upload a image from your computer and set as background wallpaper in gmail.
1. First Go to gmail.com and sign in with your gmail username and password
2. Once you are logged in, go to gmail account settings by clicking the link on the top right corner of the page, you might see mail settings or just settings.
3. Now go to Themes under gmail settings where you will find all the themes offered by default, after listing all the theme you will find this new option which says create your own theme as shown in the image below, click this option to create a theme
4. Once you have clicked to create new theme, you will see a new window pops up, click the link section and you will see the option to select a background image as shown in the image below.
5. Now click select link to upload a photo of yours which you want to set as background wallpaper in your gmail theme. You can either upload picture from your computer or choose it from your picasa web album as shown in the image below.
6. Similarly you can select the footer area image for your custom theme, you can get some idea from another snapshot below.
Once you are done with all the changes, click save button on theme editor window on the bottom right, and then your gmail theme is ready to be used in which you have your own custom wallpapers which you uploaded as shown in the image below.
[ Via Gmail Official Blog ]