As a normal user it is really very useful and helpful to have search feature in any of your application or even in operating system. It allows you to search for files and folders on your computer. To use search feature on Windows 7 , you can use search box in the start menu or at top right part of explorer window(s). Majority of users use search feature on Windows 7 and may don’t want to disable it, but if anyone wants it then here is the way. So, if you can’t get used to the new search feature in Windows 7, or you just prefer using Everything, Google Desktop or Launchy, you might be interested to know how you can disable it.
While we are not recommending to average users to disable the built-in search functionality, if you really don’t use it, you could save yourself some CPU cycles by getting rid of it. Over here we’ve got some quick steps for disabling the built-in Windows Search feature.
Disable Windows Search
1. Click on Start and select Control Panel.
2. In Control Panel switch to Large Icons View and click on Programs and Features.
3. Next in the left panel click on the Turn Windows features on or off hyperlink.
4. Scroll down the list and uncheck the box next to Windows Search.
5. Click yes to the message asking if you’re sure you want to continue.
6. Now click Ok in the Windows Features window.
7. A progress message comes up while the changes take place.
8. Then a restart is required to complete the changes.
9. When you get back from the reboot you’ll no longer see the Search box in the Start Menu.
10. The search box in Windows Explorer will also no longer show.
If you want to turn it back on again, go back into the Turn Windows Features on or off section and re-enable Windows Search. Personally I would think most people would be happy with the search feature in Windows 7, but if you’re not, this is how to disable it.
Imp. Note: Turning off Windows Search removes it from Windows 7, but doesn’t reduce the amount of hard disk space used by Windows 7. Windows Search will remain stored on your hard disk, so you can turn it back on if you want to.