In our busy daily life, we want to do everything quickly in order to increase our efficiency. Today, many of us want more than what they put up. in fact, from instant coffee to instant search result on Google, we want everything instantly.
So, Google is working towards in this direction only and has introduced a new feature in its search engine called Instant Previews which will show you a visual preview of your search results and help you find your appropriate search quickly.
Instant Previews is currently not available for everyone but users who want to give it a try can access the temporary page to enable it for their web searches. The feature add a small magnifying glass next to each page title in the Google search results.
Hovering over the spying glass will do nothing, as Instant Previews needs to be activated once by clicking on any of the displayed spying glasses. And, once clicked hovering over any search results listing will display a visual snapshot of that website by which you can have an idea about the site content and can make out if it is the appropriate answer to your search.
To dismiss the preview, click the X in the top corner of the preview bubble.
According to Raj Krishnan, this new feature will help you in 3 ways:
- Quickly compare results – A visual comparison of search results helps you pick the one that’s right for you. Quickly flip through previews to see which page looks best.
- Pinpoint relevant content – Text call outs, in orange, will sometimes highlight where your search terms appear on the webpage so you can evaluate if it’s what you’re looking for.
- Interact with the results page – Page previews let you see the layout of a webpage before clicking the search result. Looking for a chart, picture, map or list? See if you can spot one in the preview.
Some of the users may not like it so, they might want to disable this feature. So, these are the some methods which will help them.
- Use Opera: Instant Previews is not working in Opera currently. If you go to the test page and opt in to try it out you get the message “The experiment you’re trying to access is no longer available.” on the search results page. Other web browsers may show a similar behavior (but not Internet Explorer, Firefox or Chrome.
- Block scripts on Google. Use an extension like NoScript to block scripts on Google. This blocks Instant Previews. It may however have side effects on other Google.com properties.
- Switch to a localized Google search engine. This solution is temporary as the feature is rolled out to all Google search engines.
- Use a custom Google search engine such as Scroogle. Scroogle offers the same result set but without the elements that have been added by Google in the past year. No sidebar, no instant previews, no instant search, less ads and no tracking.
So, its up to you how much you like this feature. It is however likely that Google will implement the feature directly, so that users do not have to click to activate it.
View this video for better understanding of the feature:
Try Instant Previews
[ Source: Ghacks.net ]