Yes, its now possible to send a free SMS from gmail using chat to your friend and he or she can reply the same, effective from 11th October 2012 gmail users send limited number of free SMS from gmail chat, for the start you each gmail user is given 50 free messages you can send to any Indian mobile phone.
As if now following mobile network providers are supported
- Loop Mobile
- Tata DoCoMo
- Tata Indicom
- Vodafone (Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Gujarat, A.P, Bihar, W.B. & A & N, Assam, N.E.)
How To Send Free SMS From Gmail [India]
In order to send a free SMS, you just need to type in the mobile phone number and then select the option which says send SMS message.
In case you have selected a email id to send a SMS, it will ask you the mobile phone number, so for future you can save the mobile number with the selected email id of your friend.
You can simply add the mobile phone number to that email id you selected
How to Increase SMS Credit In Gmail Chat
SMS credit is an allocation of SMS (text messages) that you’re able to send to a mobile phone:
- Initially, you’re granted a credit of fifty messages.
- Every time you send a message, your credit decreases by one.
- Every time you receive an SMS message in Chat (for example when a phone user replies to one of your messages) your credit increases by five, up to a maximum of 50.
If your SMS credit goes down to zero at any point, it will increase back up to one 24 hours later. So, you won’t ever be locked out of the system.
Please Note: When ever you are replying to a chat message sent from gmail from a mobile phone, the SMS charges apply as set by your mobile phone carrier provider.
Tip: Keep in mind that if you’d like a higher message credit, you can always send an SMS to your own phone, and then reply to that message multiple times. Every time you send a reply message, your SMS credit is increased by five. Effectively, you’re buying more messages by paying your phone company for these outgoing messages.
Commands For SMS Received From Gmail Chat
- HELP: Text this command to any Gmail SMS number and you’ll get a response reminding you of some of the basics of SMS and a refresher of some of the other useful commands
- STOP: This command will block all SMS messages from Gmail
- START: Re-enables you to receive SMS messages from Gmail if you’re currently blocking them
- BLOCK: Send to the code number for a particular contact to block messages from that specific person
- UNBLOCK: Allows a blocked contact to send you SMS messages in the future
As we see the SMS messages from any mobile phone these days are not very costly, but sending SMS from gmail can be really handy when you don’t have access to your mobile phone or when you don’t want to type on mobile phone to send the messages, but it will really make sense when you add your friends phone number to gmail as contacts, we recommend you to sync your contacts with gmail for that.