These days we receive hell lot of spam comments via our comments section, there spam comments are mainly some people or robots embedding links to their articles and adding them as through the website box. These links are not all related to the content written here, So temporary solution to this problem which we have found is to remove the website box under the comments section.
This way all those people who comment here just to get the SEO link juice will get nothing, however this is might affect some other fellow bloggers too who comment here, but as we said this is a temporary fix – We will come out with a new better way to solve this issue as soon as possible.
Here is how you can remove or hide the website box under comments sections, follow the procedure given below.
1. Connect to your wordpress blog via FTP – go to public_html >> wp-content >> themes – now go into your theme folder
2. Locate the files named comments.php and comments-popup.php – make sure you backup these files now before making any changes.
3. Now search for the following lines of code and comment it out.
<p><input type="text" name="url" id="url" value="<?php echo $comment_author_url; ?>" size="22" tabindex="3" /> <label for="url"><small>Website</small></label></p>
4. Comment the code above as for example
<!–<p><input type="text" name="url" id="url" value="<?php echo $comment_author_url; ?>" size="22" tabindex="3" />
5. Upload the new modified file now, over the new files and overwrite the existing files but make sure you have the backup files so that you can revert back anything if anything goes wrong.