You might have download beautiful third party custom styles themes for windows 7 and vista from third party websites like Deviant Art, normally these custom themes which you download contains many files which needs to be replaced with system files in windows. Not only this, some system files needs to be patched before you can install any third party custom themes in windows.
In order to patch system files to install custom theme you can use free programs like UxTheme or Universal Theme Patcher. We are going to use the second tool called Universal Theme Patcher which allows you to patch files easily.
Read these points before using Universal Theme Patcher
1. It can operate in normal mode. Do not need to enter safe mode.
2. Choose the corresponding patcher based on you Windows:
For 32bit(x86): UniversalThemePatcher-x86.exe
For 64bit(amd64): UniversalThemePatcher-x64.exe
3. Require administrator rights, UAC turn off. Right-click the exe file, select Run as Administrator.
On XP/2003 you only need to patch one file: uxtheme.dll
2008/Vista/Windows 7 6519 need to patch 3 files: uxtheme.dll, themeui.dll, shsvcs.dll
Windows 7 6801 need to patch 3 files: uxtheme.dll, themeui.dll, themeservice.dll
Sometimes, in x64 Windows, you need to patch 2 copies of files:
using UniversalThemePatcher-x64.exe to patch the 64bit files in \windows\system32;
and using UniversalThemePatcher-x86.exe to patch the 32bit files in \windows\syswow64.
5. After patch, Restart computer to take effect.
6. You can run program with argument “-silent” to patch in silent mode.
Related – Download Windows 7 Themes
Once you have patched all the files required as per your OS you can download Windows Themes Installer which allows you to install custom third party themes by locating different tweaked theme files which comes with the theme.
How To Install Third Party Theme With This Tool
1. Run the Windows Themes Installer as Administrator.
2. Select the options which you want to install:
3. Once you have selected the options, click on the “Browse” button and browse for the file of the desired option.
4. Now click on “Install Theme” button to install the theme and replace the system files.