Google New version of documents offers several new features which could really make working on document in collaboration so easy and useful. Some of the new features in new version of google document are
- Real-time collaboration
- Advanced formatting tools such as a ruler, margins indentation, and tab stops
- More robust revision history
- Even more fonts
But you should note that once you upgrade a document to new version, you can’t open it again in the older version of Google documents. Another point to keep in mind is that you need to upgrade each individual document that you want to use in the new version of Google documents. Only the owner of a document can upgrade it.
It’s not possible to switch between the old and new versions for a single document.
Here are some things google have done to make the upgrade process as seamless as possible:
- URLs: Any old URLs will still redirect to the document after upgrade.
- Sharing settings: The sharing settings of the original document won’t change after upgrade.
Keep in mind that once you upgrade a document, you can’t undo the change.
Whenever you open a document in the older version of Google documents that you own, you’ll see a message that you can upgrade. If you click Preview you’ll be see a preview of what your document will look like in the new editor. Then, you can decide if you’d like to accept or decline the upgrade, by clicking Update this document or Go back to old version. The new version of Google documents has more to offer than the older version. However, because the two versions use different technologies, you might find a few problems as you upgrade your document:
- Revision History: The revision history of your document will not be carried over when you upgrade.
- Formatting: When you preview your upgraded document, you may notice that the formatting looks different. Older documents were basically webpages. To use them in the new version of Google documents, they need to be converted to a traditional word processing format. This conversion can be imperfect.
- CSS and HTML: It’s not possible to edit the HTML of your document or use CSS after you upgrade.
- Images: Some images may be slightly resized.
Related Articles To Read