There are times when you may want to find out some details for a website like which hosting servers or service is hosting a website and other details like data center that hosts the Web server, mail server, and domain name server (DNS) of the specified domain, the created/changed/expire date of the domain, domain owner, domain registrar that registered the domain, list of all DNS records.
There are many free webservices on web which allows you to find some part of the information you are looking for, one such popular example is the site Who Is Hosting This which allows you to find which hosting servers are hosting a website or the hosting company and it also allows you to find IP address of the server running the website and name servers as well, if you really plan to find almost all the complete details about a website like mails servers, when he domain is expiring, domain owner name you should better try the freeware DomainHostingView.
DomainHostingView is a utility for Windows that collects extensive information about a domain by using a series of DNS and WHOIS queries, and generates HTML report that can be displayed in any Web browser. This utility works on any version of Windows, starting from Windows XP and up to Windows 7/2008, including x64 versions of Windows. This utility also works on Windows 2000, but without the IDN support.
Please Note: The report created by DomainHostingView is based on the information provided by public WHOIS servers. If WHOIS server is temporary down, some information won’t be displayed in the report. Also, some WHOIS servers may block your IP address if you use DomainHostingView to get reports about many domains in short period of time.
DomainHostingView Provides Following Information About a Website or Domain
- Summary Information: In this section, you get a summary of the information extracted from the DNS and WHOIS queries:
- Domain is registered with… Specifies the domain registrar that registered the domain (Like GoDaddy, NetworkSolutions, and others)
- Domain is registered to…The owner of the domain. If the domain is protected by privacy service, DomainHostingView specifies that the name you see is not the real domain owner.
- Web site is hosted by… Specifies the name of the hosting company or data center that hosts the Web site of this domain.
- Mail Server is hosted by… Specifies the name of the hosting company or data center that hosts the mail server of this domain. For some domains, Web site and mail services are hosted in the same server, while others use different hosting companies for Web site and email services.
For example, there are many companies that use the Gmail service of Google to send and receive all their emails, while their Web site is hosted in another hosting company.
- Domain Name Server (DNS) is hosted by… Specifies the name of the hosting company or data center that hosts the DNS server of this domain. For some domains, the Web site and DNS server are hosted in the same company, while others use a separated DNS hosting service
- Domain was created on… Specifies the date that the domain was created.
- Domain was last updated on… Specifies the date that the domain was updated.
- Domain expires on… Specifies the date that the domain expires.
- Web site is hosted on… Specifies whether the Web site is hosted on Linux/Unix or Windows server. (In order to get this information, DomainHostingView sends a simple HTTP query to the server, and parses the server response)
Be aware that some of the above fields will be displayed only for some of the domains.
- DNS Records: In this section, you get a table with all major DNS records (MX, A, NS, SOA) that can be extracted from the specified domain. For every IP address found in the other DNS records, DomainHostingView also extract the PTR record (Reverse DNS lookup)
- Subdomains: This section won’t be displayed for most of the domains, because most DNS servers block the ability to extract the Subdomains of a domain. If DomainHostingView manages to extract the Subdomains list from the DNS server, it’ll be displayed in a simple table with the IP address and Subdomain string.
- IP Addresses Information: This section provides a table with IP addresses information of the hosting company or data center that hosts the Web site, the mail server, and the domain name server.
- Raw Domain Information: This section provides the raw text returned from the WHOIS query of the domain.
- Web Server IP Address Information: This section provides the raw text returned from the WHOIS query of the Web server IP address.
- Mail Server IP Address Information: This section provides the raw text returned from the WHOIS query of the mail server IP address.
- Name Server IP Address Information: This section provides the raw text returned from the WHOIS query of the domain name server IP address.
Note: Firewall/router requirements: You should allow DomainHostingView to connect the following outgoing TCP/UDP ports: 43 (WHOIS), 53 (DNS), 80 (HTTP), and 25 (SMTP).
DomainHostingView doesn’t require any installation process or additional dll files. In order to start using it, simple run the executable file – DomainHostingView.exe Below the menu and the toolbar of DomainHostingView, you should type the domain that you want to inspect, and then click the ‘Go’ button or press F9. Be aware that you should type only the domain name, without the www prefix of the Web site.
Download DomainHostingView from here