SearchIndexer.exe is one the executable behind the enhanced powerful windows search by microsoft, according to microsoft they had improved the search in vista to a great extent but as reported by the users windows explorer hangs many times just because of this enhanced windows search. This enhanced windows search is no doubt good sometimes but uses a considerable amount of CPU Usage.
So, in order to get rid of this you can permanently disable windows search in vista, however you still be able to search in vista even after disabling windows search, Here is how you can disable windows search in vista, follow the procedure below
1. Open Start Menu >> Control Panel
2. Double click Programs and Features, now click the link on the left pane of the window saying Turn Windows Features on or off
3. Now uncheck the option which says Indexing Service ( as highlighted in the image below )
4. click ok
Note: Disabling Indexing service will automatically disable windows enhanced search, however the simple search functionality would still be there and active.
Or else you can disable windows search in services, follow the procedure below for the same
For Vista and XP
1. Open Start Menu >> Run, type services.msc
2. Now locate windows search among the services, right click and select stop
3. Right click windows search again and select properties
4. Select the startup type for this service as disabled
5. click OK
That’s it and now you have stopped searchindexer.exe issue on your laptop. If you are still stuck, feel free to ask questions.