It happens many times when windows explorer goes un-responding due to many reasons, in that case in order to recover the hanged state easily you can terminate and restart windows explorer through task manager.
But restarting windows explorer will take some time, another way to restart windows explorer easily as faster is by creating a desktop shortcut to restart window explorer, but you may not be able to click this shortcut in case of severe hang situation of windows explorer, at that point of time restarting windows explorer through task manager will work.
Let’s discuss both of these ways to restart windows explorer.
Restarting Windows Explorer Through Task Manager
1. Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open task manager quickly.
2. Click the process tab and locate explorer.exe
3. Right click on the explorer.exe, select end process from the right click menu.
4. That’s it, windows explorer will start again with in some seconds after ending the windows explorer process.
Restarting Windows Explorer By Desktop Shortcut
1. Right click on the empty desktop area, select new >> shortcut
2. Copy the following path in the target box
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wbem\WMIC.exe process where name="explorer.exe" call Terminate
3. That’s it, now you have a desktop shortcut to restart windows explorer.
Filed in: tips & tricks