Following are the instructions you can follow to configure hotmail activesync on different mobile devices. If your device supports only one profile of ActiveSync, delete the existing ActiveSync profile on your device if you already use it
• Enter the following:
URL – m.hotmail.com
Username – Enter full name with domain info, e.g. email@example.com
Domain – Leave blank (see Known Issues for some Nokia devices)
SSL – Enabled
Certificate – Accept the SSL certificate when prompted
Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Tasks – All can be enabled.
• The following devices have been tested against Hotmail ActiveSync
o WM 6.x
o iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad
o Nokia E-series, S-series, N-series running Mail for Exchange application
• More devices will be added to the above list over time.
• Users are welcome to try with other devices but support may be limited in the near term.
o Android Support: Hotmail team will add Android to list of supported devices in the coming months after testing is completed.
Access from Android 2.1 is NOT supported due to known client issues on Android 2.1.
There are users successfully syncing from Hotmail via the default application or the Touchdown application on Android 2.2.
WM 6.x Setup
The steps are identical between WM 6.1 and 6.5. If deleting an existing profile, make sure to back up the data on the device before configuring the ActiveSync profile for Hotmail access.
1. Click on “ActiveSync” under Start menu or under Programs.
2. Click on the link above to configure the ActiveSync profile for Hotmail access. You may need to delete the existing profile if it is already in use.
3. Disable automatic detection of Exchange server settings.
4. Enter your full Hotmail address in User name field. Enter password. Leave Domain blank.
5. Enter m.hotmail.com in the Server address field.
6. Select the data to sync. Hotmail supports all 4 data types via ActiveSync.
7. The device will connect to Hotmail ActiveSync and perform an initial sync for the selected data.
8. Successful synchronization will result in device showing a screen like this.
The steps are similar for the iPhone, iPod Touch and the iPad. On a device that supports only a single ActiveSync profile, make sure to back up the data on the device before configuring the ActiveSync profile for Hotmail access.
1. Click on Settings. Under Settings, click on “Mail, Contacts, Calendar”.
2. Click on “Add Account” in the Accounts page.
3. Click on “Microsoft Exchange” to configure Hotmail access.
4. Enter your full Hotmail email address in both Email and Username fields. Leave Domain blank. Enter your password. In the Description field, enter a name, e.g Hotmail.
5. Enter m.hotmail.com for the Server name.
6. If access succeeds, you will see this page. Select the data to sync. Click on Save.
Nokia Setup – Mail for Exchange
The following steps are for the Mail for Exchange application on most Nokia smartphones. If the existing ActiveSync profile is already in use, make sure to back up the data on the device before configuring the ActiveSync profile for Hotmail access.
1. Click on “Mail for Exchange” icon in the Application menu.
2. Click on “Sync mode”. You may need to delete the existing profile if already used to configure it for Hotmail access.
3. Enter your full Hotmail email address in Email address and Username fields.
4. Enter m.hotmail.com in the Exchange server field.
5. Select the Initial sync option for calendar, e.g. “Delete items on phone”.
6. Select the Initial sync option for tasks, e.g. “Delete items on phone”.
7. Select the Initial sync option for contacts, e.g. “Delete items on phone”.
8. Configure the Sync mode to be either push or pull at a specified interval.
Filed in: how to tutorials