How many times have you been stuck with a large document that is a formatting nightmare, with repeated mistakes such as sentences starting with a lowercase, excessive newlines everywhere and misspelled words? We have all been there and trust me, it is very tiring to take correct such a document.
CleanHaven is a freeware utility for Mac OS X that tries to automate a part of this very trivial and tiring process.
Usage of CleanHaven is pretty simple. All you have to do is copy and paste the text to be cleaned into the text field in the CleanHaven window. There is no limit to the amount of text that can be pasted here, which makes it suitable for even cleaning up errors in very large documents which would usually crash other applications.
After you have pasted the desired text, you can set multiple attributes for conversion/cleaning of the text. The attributes and their values are listed below.
- Case – Title Case, Sentence case, UPPERCASE, lowercase, rAndOm CasE, “Curly Quotes”
- Sort – ascending, case-sensitive, descending, random, reverse, numerical value
- Duplicates – remove, only duplicates, only unique
- Remove – excess returns, excess spaces, linefeeds, linefeeds to returns, non-ASCII, non-letters, non-numbers/spaces, periods, punctuation, returns, returns to linefeeds, tabs
- Personal – email address to web, full name to first/last name, phone number, salutation, UK postcodes
- Info – only correct words, only incorrect, original and result
Once you are done with setting the flags for conversion, all you have to do is click ‘Clean’ to view the resultant text after filtering. If you find the result satisfactory, you can copy it back, or if you would like to make some further changes to the result text, click ‘Make Source’. This replaces the original text with the converted text so that you may further edit it and you don’t have to reapply the previous flags again. However, if you find the result to be unsatisfactory, just close the window, and apply different flags this time.
The above conversion options have a limitation that they are equally applied to each and every character of the text. CleanHaven also has a Find and Replace Text tab, which is very useful if you want to change specific occurrences of a particular string. It also has the ability to handle special characters such as Carriage Return etc.
Overall, CleanHaven is a pretty lightweight application that does text conversions within seconds. It is blazing fast and is a native OS X app. I would definitely recommend it to anybody who wants to reduce their text cleaning work dramatically.