Apple officially dropped the word ‘Phone’ from the name of the iPhone OS, and has chosen to call the new version the iOS 4. This new OS introduces thousands of new features, most of them are surrounded on giving both the developers and users more control and a better overall experience .
Here is a list of new features in iOS 4
- 1500 new developer APIs
- 100 new user features
- Retina display integration
- Mail – unified inbox and threading
- Enhanced camera and photo apps
- Deeper enterprise support
- Better data protection
- Mobile device management
- Wireless app distribution
- Multiple Exchange accounts
- Exchange Server 2010
- SSL VPN support
- Microsoft ‘Bing’ added to the list of search engines, default is still Google, Yahoo being the 3rd option
- iBooks – same as on iPad, now you can sync books over all your devices.
- iAds – New feature for developers, ads open up in the app rather than the browser, developers get 60% revenue, support for interactive ads.
The iOS 4 upgrade is free for all iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch (excluding first gen) users, and will be available from June 21st.