After all the speculations about the new iPhone that was leaked to Gizmodo, Steve Jobs finally rolled out the new iPhone 4 to the public at the WWDC 2010 Keynote at San Jose, California on June 7th, 2010. It is indeed the same prototype that Gizmodo found, putting an end to all the controversy surrounding it.
(Image credit : Apple)
List of new features in the iPhone 4 as compared to the old iPhone 3GS –
- Front facing camera for video calls (called FaceTime calling, currently works only over WiFi, but soon over 3G)
- Microsim tray
- One mic on the bottom, one at the top
- Same 30 pin connector
- Stainless steel band around the phone’s periphery, which is its primary structural element, it also acts as the antenna
- 9.3 mm thick
- Thinnest smartphone ever
- Stainless steel structure gives it strength
- Front and rear are made of glass, which gives it optical quality and scratch resistance
- Integrated antennas (in the stainless steel structure) for Bluetooth, Wifi, GPS, UMTS, GSM
- It now runs iOS 4 (the word ‘Phone’ has been dropped from the name of the OS)
- Retina display – 326 pixels per square inch for extra sharpness
- Screen resolution 960×640 (4x compared iPhone 3GS)
- 800:1 contrast ratio (4 times better than the iPhone 3GS)
- IPS (In-Plane Switching) Technology for a superb color and wide viewing angle
- Supports all previous apps and makes them run automatically on the new retinal display
- Powered by the A4 chip, designed by Apple
- Extremely improved Li-ion battery – 7 hours of talktime on 3G, 6 hours of 3G browsing, 10 hours on Wi-Fi, 40 hours of music, 10 hours of video, 300 hours on standby
- Environment friendly – Arsenic free, BFR free, PVC free, highly recyclable
- In-built 3 axis gyroscope – works with the accelerometer and the GPS unit to give you 6 axis motion sensing (perfect for gaming)
- Camera is now 5 Megapixels, with an backside illuminated sensor, 5x digital zoom, along with LED flash
- Option to use backside camera for FaceTime video calls
- HD video recording (720p at 30 fps), tap to focus, built-in video editing, same LED flash works for video too
- Record video, edit it, send directly to YouTube, email, MMS, MobileMe
- iMovie for iPhone ($4.99 from the App Store) can be used to edit videos on-the-go.
$199 for the 16 GB model, $299 for 32 GB, both with 2 year contracts.
When can you get the iPhone 4?
Pre-orders for the new iPhone 4 start from June 15th, and Apple starts shipping them out from June 24th.
The iPhone 3G has officially been taken off sale by Apple, and the prices for iPhone 3GS have been reduced to $99 for the 8 GB model.